Pierce College has a variety of housing options:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Visit the Pierce College Residence Hall web page for more information and how to apply.
International Students are welcome to explore many different housing options at Pierce College. The Homestay Program offers students an opportunity to experience American culture and home life. Students who choose homestay will live with a carefully selected and trained host family who represent America’s unique diversity. Students must pay a monthly stipend directly to their host family each month to cover the costs of hosting.
Students will receive a fully furnished room, internet access and a safe environment. All homes are within a short commute by bus. Students can choose between a full hosting (with 2 meals; $650/month) or partial hosting (no meals; $500/month) experience. The one-time Homestay Application Fee is $275 (beginning July 1, 2018). Please contact our Homestay office at 253-964-6593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a Homestay Application.
Looking to Become a Host Family?
Pierce College International Education is currently seeking hosts to provide a happy, healthy and enriching cultural exchange with our students. Hosts need to have an open heart, value new cultures, and desire to help teach about their own culture and experiences. We are ALWAYS looking for new hosts that are willing to participate in global cultural exchange. Hosting opportunities are available in Lakewood and the Puyallup/South Hill area.
Different hosting options:
- Short Term Hosting — Short-term hosting requires families to commit to a two- to six-week stay. Typically, other colleges or groups will come in to tour our school or attend a language intensive. Right now, short-term hosting occurs only at the Lakewood campus. Puyallup host families who would like to participate will need to provide transportation for their students daily.
- Long Term Hosting — Host families commit to student placements for three months or more. This includes a full homestay experience (two meals per day) or a partial homestay experience (no meal requirements). Hosting is available at both the Puyallup and the Lakewood campuses.
Host families receive full 24/7 emergency support, ongoing training and leadership opportunities, and a stipend to cover the costs of hosting students.
Host families are required to:
- Provide a bed, bedding, desk, lamp, clothing storage (dresser or closet), fully functioning window and internet access
- Open their home and provide a safe, generous and hospitable environment for the student
- Live within a 45 minute bus ride (limited to 1 bus transfer) to campus
- Provide three meals per day (full hosting only)
Become a Host Family
The application process is very easy and requires submitting a completed application, attending a host family orientation, and having a host family home visit and interview.
For more information, or to request an application please email email@example.com or call 253-964-6593.
There are many apartments near the Pierce College campus, but we do not make placement arrangements. If you want to live in an apartment, we recommend that you start with a temporary homestay; once you are here, you can then choose your own apartment. Apartments rent for approximately $575 to $1,500 per month, depending on size, number of bedrooms, condition, and other amenities. In addition, you will be responsible for paying for electricity and heat, and you will pay a security deposit at the time of rental.
Note: Apartments in the U.S. usually come equipped with appliances, such as a stove, refrigerator and heater, but they do not include furnishings. If you choose to live in an apartment, you should be prepared to buy or rent such things as beds, tables, chairs, telephones, televisions, linens and kitchen utensils. We recommend apartment living only if you plan to attend Pierce for six months or longer.